On Monday night our house nearly exploded.
I’m not exaggerating or trying to be funny.
I was at home with my person and she smelled something strange. It wasn’t a new smell. Both she and my man person have flooded the main floor bathroom and the wet wood smells strange when it gets warm and dries out.
This is what she thought it was. She went through the whole house trying to find the source of the smell.
When she couldn’t find it, she went to bed.
The man person was at work but he got home around 11:30 p.m. and immediately noticed the smell – like burning rubber.
Mama Liz got up and was looking around the house with him looking for the source. At about 11:45 p.m. Mama Liz said to man person, ‘Erm, I think the house is filling with smoke.’
I could see the smoke getting thicker and thicker under a set of spotlights we have in the hallway and in the kitchen.
The man person grabbed the phone and called 911 then we turned the heating off and cleared out of the house with my sweater and leash in toe.
The man person drove around to the front to wait for the fire department to arrive. Three trucks and an ambulance pulled up (!) and the firemen eventually determined that the problem was with the furnace. Apparently they went around the whole house with a thermal imaging thingy to look for fire.
While all this was going on I sat in the car with Mama Liz.
Then the REALLY exciting stuff happened.
We went to visit the small people up the road to keep warm. This is where my friend Sophie Shih Tzu lives.
AND they have two small fluffy things called rabbits. Their names are Aphrodite and Santa.
When I got there I chased Santa around. Then I chased Sophie around.
Turns out Mama Liz was trying to sleep and didn’t like being trampled on by two fighting Shih Tzus. Oops.
Turns out the problem was an oversized belt and something to do with the bearings. We went home that night and everything was fine.
A magic man with toys came to fix things.